St Thomas’ Church Archives & Museum

Built in 1836, St. Thomas’ Anglican Church is one of the oldest continually-used Anglican churches in Newfoundland. The church is notable for its proximity to historic British military sites such as Fort Townsend, Fort William and Commissariat House. Built under the commission of Bishop Aubrey Spencer, the land for the church was secured by governor Sir Thomas Cochrane with the stipulation that space in the church be reserved for members of the nearby British garrison. St. Thomas’ served as the garrison church from 1837 until the closure of the British garrison in 1871. Through its connection with Bishop Spencer and with the British garrison, St. Thomas’ Anglican Church helps tell the story of the early governmental, religious and military development of Newfoundland.

The Archives is open by appointment only. Some files and registers are restricted to protect privacy. Photocopying services are available. The Archives contains registers of births, confirmations, marriages and other church sacraments dating back to 1836. There is also a number of items on display in the museum. The archivist provides on site assistance to users.

St. Thomas’ Anglican Church was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1986.

Categories: AllChurch History / ReligionGenealogyRegional ListingsRegistered Heritage StructureSt. John's

St Thomas' Church Archives & Museum

8 Military Road
St. John's, NL A1C 2C4 

Get Directions

(709) 576-6632

Return to Museum Listings