The 50 Centuries’ Interpretation Centre features artifacts from several local prehistoric cultures. There are two archaeological sites relating to the Maritime Archaic Indians, including the Big Droke living site and the Caines tool production site, which date to approximately 4500 BP. The site also exhibits artifacts from the Groswater Paleoeskimo
Explore the history of HM Wireless Station, Mount Pearl’s top-secret First World War naval base! Admiralty house displays artifacts from HM wireless Station, the SS Florizel disaster, and Mount Pearl history. Enjoy our replica 1916 Commanding Officer’s Sitting Room and see how small the Marconi Room was on the Florizel.
With the closure of Newfoundland’s railway in the 1980’s, the Avondale Railway Station was shut down. The building itself, over 100 years old, has since been declared a Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador. The Avondale Railway Station houses two museums: a railway museum and a
The Baie Verte Peninsula Miners’ Museum brings to life a typical mine from the late1800s to present day. A tunnel, much like a mine shaft, starts the tour and brings you out into a room that shows the tools of the mining trade and gives a glimpse into the home
The Banting Interpretation Center, located in Musgrave Harbour, was built in 1991.The centre features the wreckage from the 1941 aviation crash that claimed the life of Sir Frederick Banting, one of the men responsible for the twentieth-century discovery of insulin. The wreckage was airlifted from Seven Mile Pond in 1990,
The Barbour Heritage Village explores the lives of the Barbour family, a typical merchant family involved in the sealing and fishing industry in rural Newfoundland and Labrador. The village, with its many historic buildings, is located in Newtown, Newfoundland, on a point of land surrounded by small natural harbours and
Situated on a small, near-shore island, Battle Harbour was for two centuries the economic and social centre of the southeastern Labrador coast. Mercantile saltfish premises first established there in the 1770s developed into a thriving community that was known as the “Capital of Labrador”. Today, the site has been restored
The Bay de Verde Heritage House was built in 1896 by Mr. John Blundon and family of Bay de Verde. Mr. Blundon was a local merchant who owned schooners and traded along the coast. The house was built to accommodate his lifestyle. The structure of the house is a good
The Beaches Heritage Centre is dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the art and culture of the Eastport Peninsula and all of Newfoundland. Through theatre programming, art gallery exhibitions and numerous events, the Centre celebrates the myriad of traditional and modern arts for which Newfoundland is renown.