Battle Harbour Historic Trust Inc. Situated on a small, near-shore island, Battle Harbour was for two centuries the economic and social centre of the southeastern Labrador coast. Mercantile saltfish premises first established there in the 1770s developed into a thriving community that was known as the “Capital of Labrador”. Today,
Labrador Straits Historical Development Corporation The Gateway to Labrador Visitor Centre is a restored early 20 th century Gothic Revival style church. The Gateway is a handsome building with white clapboard exterior, pointed arch windows, the hexagonal roofed bell tower, and a signature cinquefoil window. The interior of the Gateway
St. George’s Indian Band Council Inc. The community of St. George’s is an area rich in Mi’kmaq history. Earliest occupation of the area is uncertain, however the area known as “Seal Rocks” which is now a part of the community of St. George’s, is well documented as being the largest
Memorial University of Newfoundland The Labrador Campus (formerly the Labrador Institute) has been Memorial University’s permanent presence in Labrador since 1979. Collections are predominantly archival and library, but as an important cultural and educational institution, the Labrador Institute also maintains close ties with the museum community. The Institute has collaborated
Labrador Heritage Society The Labrador Heritage Museum is a converted and rehabilitated Hudson Bay Company trading post store building. Built in 1923 and used by the Hudson Bay Company for 60 + years until 1996. The Museum concept includes the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the existing 1923 Hudson Bay
Rigolet Inuit Community Government The Museum is run by the Rigolet Heritage Society and is located in Rigolet, Labrador. See a display of trade artefacts and information which tells the history of the Hudson’s Bay Company in Rigolet. There is also two reconstructed HBC buildings on site, one is the
Gateway Labrador Inc. Exhibits follow the history of early life and the history of mining in Labrador West. The museum features a 360 Virtual tour of IOCC, taxidermy and heritage quilts, along with lots of other marks and artifacts of Labrador West history.
The White Elephant Museum Inc. Constructed in 1915, the structure was once part of the Moravian Mission station which was established in Makkovik in 1896. The building was meant to serve as a boarding school, however, it seemed more prudent to house the school and the dormitory within the Moravian