Salvage Fisherman’s Museum Committee
Located on the most easterly point of the Eastport Peninsula, lies the 300-year-old fishing community of Salvage. Known as the Lane/Heffern House, the Salvage Fisherman’s Museum was created in 1969 and is recognized as one of the oldest in the province. Due to its historic and aesthetic value it was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure in 2020. The house, believed to have been built in the mid-19th century and expanded upon in the 1880’s by Charles Lane, is representative of a traditional Newfoundland saltbox dwelling. Its collection of early fishing equipment, logging tools, and domestic artifacts reflect the community’s history and that of its residents. Highlights include a 2-metre-long wooden model of a locally built schooner (the Crystal Stream), sets of church records dating back to the early 1800’s, a death shroud, and a scrimshaw engraved powder horn dating back to 1875.