Ferryland Historical Society
Built in 1916, to serve as The Bank Of Montreal, the building was soon converted to a Courthouse and residence for the Newfoundland Constabulary. In the early 1950s, the building was converted to a Doctors clinic and residence and served in this capacity until 1969. In 1973, the Government conveyed the building to the Ferryland Historical Society to be used as a community Museum. Opened in 1974, the Museum is the oldest operating tourist attraction on the Irish Loop. In 2000, after receiving money through the FRAM program, the building was stabilized, new exhibits added, and the courtroom recreated. The Society then turned the building over to the Town of Ferryland, and an agreement was made that the Town become the owners, and the Ferryland Historical Society the operators. The Museum has served Ferryland and area since 1974. Presently, the Town of Ferryland is in the process of renovating the building. The Ferryland Historical Society continue to research, preserve, protect, promote, and share the history, heritage, and genealogy of Ferryland and surrounding area, from the office of the curator (until renovations on the building are complete).
Ferryland Courthouse was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 2006.
PLEASE NOTE: During the 2023-2024 season, the museum building is undergoing renovations and will be avaiable for viewing by appointment only.