The complex consists of two structures, one housing an interpretation centre, gift shop, and a tea house which serves traditional Newfoundland cuisine and beverages. The museum itself is housed in a restored house which was constructed in 1911 on Port Elizabeth Island in Placentia Bay and was transported to nearby
The Long Island Heritage Center site originally housed the Long Island Consumers Co-Operative Store from 1957 to 2002. Co-operative action was introduced in the early 1940’s by Jasper Rideout of Beaumont, Long Island from the Commission of Government. Local fishermen became the first shareholders. The first co-operative organization was The
Perched high on the hill above the community of Fogo, get a great view of the community and learn about the early communications history of Fogo Island. Built in 1911 at the instigation of the Newfoundland government, the Marconi wireless station on Fogo Island was for many years the only
The Museum holds a wide variety of exhibits featuring items from the town’s long and rich history, including artifacts used in everyday life and the tools that people used in earning their livings. There is also a display of shipbuilding in the Marystown area. Admission: free Gift shop Guided tours
The Placentia West Development Association’s Heritage House is the perfect midpoint on the Heritage Run. The house is located at the intersection at Baine Harbour, and its a short trip to the scenic community of Rushoon. The House is run by the Placentia West Heritage Committee.
Provincial Seamen’s Museum – a division of The RoomsPermanent Exhibition: Living The Life – Objects of Identity We have long been industrious and resourceful people – making a living from the sea and land. This exhibition features artifacts commonly used from the 1800s to the present. The ground floor celebrates
Legion Branch 27 has a collection of information about local veterans of the First and Second World Wars, and the Korean Conflict. There are is also photographs and information supplied by descendants of those veterans have been reproduced into 8 x 10 format.
Located on the most easterly point of the Eastport peninsula, Salvage is the oldest community in the region. The Museum is in a converted house which was built in 1860 by Charles Lane. Its collection is comprised of early fishing equipment, tools and domestic artifacts reflecting the community’s history. Highlights