Barbour Living Historical Heritage Village

Cape Freels Heritage Trust Inc. The Barbour Heritage Village explores the lives of the Barbour family, a typical merchant family involved in the sealing and fishing industry in rural Newfoundland and Labrador. The village, with its many historic buildings, is located in Newtown, Newfoundland, on a point of land surrounded

Continue reading

Battle Harbour Historic Trust District

Battle Harbour Historic Trust Inc. Situated on a small, near-shore island, Battle Harbour was for two centuries the economic and social centre of the southeastern Labrador coast. Mercantile saltfish premises first established there in the 1770s developed into a thriving community that was known as the “Capital of Labrador”. Today,

Continue reading

Bay de Verde Heritage House

Heritage Bay de Verde, Town of Bay de Verde The Bay de Verde Heritage House was built in 1896 by Mr. John Blundon and family of Bay de Verde. Mr. Blundon was a local merchant who owned schooners and traded along the coast. The house was built to accommodate his

Continue reading

Bonavista Museum & Archives

The Town of Bonavista & The Bonavista Historical Society The Bonavista Museum, located at the Ryan Premises National Historic Site, showcases various aspects of local culture dating back to the late 19th century such as domestic life and entertainment, school, church, mercantile activity and occupations such as fishing, sealing, logging,

Continue reading

Fishermen’s Museum, Musgrave Harbour

Banting Historical Trust Inc. The Fisherman’s Museum located in the Town of Musgrave Harbour was built in 1910 and was originally the first retail store operated by the Fisherman’s Trading Company with Sir William Coaker as president of the Fisherman’s Protective Union. The museum now holds an array of interesting

Continue reading

Jack Ward Memorial General Store Heritage Centre

Town of Leading Tickles This 2-story building is the oldest known standing structure in Notre Dame Bay. The lower level was a general store owned by Mr. Jack Ward while the upper level was the home of Mr. Ward and his family. Today, on the first floor you will find

Continue reading

Long Island Heritage Center

Long Island Heritage Centre Corporation, Town of Lushes Bight-Beaumont-Beaumont North The Long Island Heritage Center site originally housed the Long Island Consumers Co-Operative Store from 1957 to 2002. Co-operative action was introduced in the early 1940’s by Jasper Rideout of Beaumont, Long Island from the Commission of Government. Local fishermen

Continue reading

Road to Yesterday Museum & Christopher Pratt Art Gallery

The Museum and Gallery are a project of the Bay Roberts Heritage Society Inc. The Western Union Cable Station, now known as the Cable Building, was constructed in 1913, extended in 1927, and was in continuous operation as a repeater station until 1965. For a brief period it was used

Continue reading

Sunny Cottage Heritage Centre

Sunny Cottage Corporation & The Town of Harbour Breton Sunny Cottage is one of the largest Queen Anne Style houses in Newfoundland. It was built in 1907 by local merchant, Mr. John J. Rose. In 1988 Sunny Cottage was recognized as a heritage structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland

Continue reading