Burgeo Centennial Memorial Museum

Housed in the former community library, the museum focuses on the 400 year old history of Burgeo and the surrounding area. The French were the first to settle in Burgeo during the late 1700’s, followed by the English between 1790 – 1796. At that time, the town’s existence focused mainly

Continue reading

Burin Heritage Tourism Association

The Burin Heritage Tourism Association consists of a Heritage House Museum, also known as the Reddy House, and a museum in the Bank of Nova Scotia building. On the premises we also have a Craft Shop for local goods, and By the Rock Cafe with traditional Newfoundland cuisine, and an

Continue reading

Burnside Heritage Foundation

The Burnside and Alexander Bay area of Bonavista Bay was inhabited by native peoples for at least 5,000 years. Archaeological evidence has been found for the presence of Maritime Archaic, Paleo-Eskimo and Beothuck peoples. Many of the sites are located in the area called Bloody Reach. The Quarry, 20 minutes

Continue reading

Cape Ray Lightkeepers House

The third in a series of lighthouses at Cape Ray, this structure was established in 1871 to serve fishers and sailors along this part of the French Shore from the hazards of the rocky shoreline. Although no visitors are permitted in the automated lighthouse, visitors may visit the on-site interpretation

Continue reading

Carbonear Railway Station

Today the former Carbonear Railway Station is home to a small exhibit of Newfoundland and Canadian railway memorabilia. It also houses the Carbonear island exhibit: “Traces of the Past”. The Railway Station has been designated an historic structure by The Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, The Heritage Foundation

Continue reading

Centre for Newfoundland Studies

The Centre for Newfoundland Studies (CNS) was founded in 1965 by the Memorial University Libraries with the mandate to collect all published materials relating to Newfoundland and Labrador; to offer library services such as a reading room, reference service and reproduction service; to preserve the collection for future generations; and

Continue reading

Cercle des Mémoires Musée

Experience the lifestyle of French Newfoundlanders as you are guided through this museum by bilingual interpreters. View the artifacts exhibit and enter into the everyday life of the first people to live in the three French communities of the Port au Port peninsula: Mainland, Cape St. George and Black Duck

Continue reading

Champney’s West Heritage House

The Heritage House in Champney’s West opened in 2010. It is dedicated to Ella Freeman and the house was donated to the community by her daughter Dr. Marjorie Ragosta. It is owned and operated by the Champney’s West Heritage Group. Marjorie purchased the house for her mother’s trips back home

Continue reading

Clarenville Heritage Society Inc.

The Clarenville Heritage Society Inc. operates a volunteer based museum in the community of Clarenville in the former CN Railway station original built in 1942. The station building belongs to the Clarenville Shrine Club who restored the structure in the late 1990s and recently acquired Provincial Heritage Designation in partnership

Continue reading