Old Carbonear Post Office

Carbonear Heritage Society The Old Carbonear Post office is considered to be one of the finest and best preserved example of the Second Empire construction style. The Post Office was built in 1905 to replace a larger one that burned down in 1904. Over the years the building served as

Continue reading

Old Post Office

The original Post Office in Tilting was established in 1887 and it was set up as a waystation. For many years it was located in the local fishing premises of Patrick Bryan and Sons. Patrick Bryan was awarded the contract to build the new post office and construction began in

Continue reading

Old School House Museum

Old School House Museum The Old Schoolhouse is a rectangular, single-storey former school building with symmetrically placed wooden windows along the sides, a steeply pitched gable roof, and a front gable-end entry porch with wooden doors. It is located next to Our Lady of the Snows Roman Catholic Church on

Continue reading

Our Lady of Mercy Museum

The museum is located in the Rectory associated with Our Lady of Mercy Church. The church itself was consecrated in 1925. The Aguathuna limestone quarry was expected to develop and serve as the economic base for a small city. As a result, the church is the largest wooden structure in

Continue reading

Over the Top Museum

The Town of Birchy Bay The residence of the late Peter and Ida Quinlan of Birchy Bay, built in 1916, houses the Over the Top Museum. Birchy Bay was first settled by fishermen from Fogo Island who would winter in the sheltered bays in winter tilts and cut timber from

Continue reading

Peterview Heritage Centre

Heritage Society of Peterview The Peterview Heritage Centre displays artifacts and a pictorial history of Peterview. Ongoing research includes obtaining artifacts from the Beothuck era for display. The Heritage Society of Peterview maintains the Peterview Heritage Center and old Anglican cemetery. Wheelchair accessible.

Continue reading

Petty Harbour/Maddox Cove Heritage Museum

The Petty Harbour Museum is located in the Town of Petty Harbour/Maddox Cove, just 15 minutes from downtown St. Johns. The museum is situated in the basement of the old school, which is now the Community Center and Town Office. “Many Stories in Tiny Houses” is a comment a student

Continue reading

Pilley’s Island Heritage Museum

Pilley’s Island Heritage Society Inc. Pilley’s Island is a small town with a big history. The mining of pyrite began at Pilley’s Island in 1887. By 1899 Pilley’s Island could boast of having a courthouse for the area, six merchant establishments and a hotel serving not only the town’s population

Continue reading

Placentia West Museum

The Placentia West Development Association’s Heritage House is the perfect midpoint on the Heritage Run. The house is located at the intersection at Baine Harbour, and its a short trip to the scenic community of Rushoon. The House is run by the Placentia West Heritage Committee.

Continue reading

Point Leamington Heritage Centre

Point Leamington Heritage Council The Centre is located on the bank of Mill River, an excellent salmon river and is adjacent to Rowsell’s Hill Nature Trail. The Centre has a gift shop and a coffee shop, Aunt Ethel’s Kitchen, where you can enjoy a snack during your visit. There is

Continue reading