Nurse Myra Bennett Heritage House

Known throughout the province as “Florence Nightingale of the North,” Nurse Myra Bennett provided more than 50 years of nursing and medical services along the rugged coastline of the Newfoundland’s Northern Peninsula. The museum is located in the 1922 built two-story traditional house which was home to Nurse Bennett for

Continue reading

O’ Brien Farm Foundation

A non-profit organization responsible for the management and development of the historic O’BrienFarm located within the city of St. John’s, NL. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theobrienfarm/ O’Brien Farm Foundation:@theobrienfarm

Continue reading

O’Reilly House Museum

The O’Reilly House was built in 1902 as a residence for William O’Reilly. In the 1940s, it became a government-owned residence for the local magistrate, and filled that role until 1984. In 1986, it was turned over to the Placentia Area Historical Society for development as an area museum. As

Continue reading

Old Carbonear Post Office

The Old Carbonear Post office is considered to be one of the finest and best preserved example of the Second Empire construction style. The Post Office was built in 1905 to replace a larger one that burned down in 1904. Over the years the building served as a post office,

Continue reading

Old Post Office

The original Post Office in Tilting was established in 1887 and it was set up as a waystation. For many years it was located in the local fishing premises of Patrick Bryan and Sons. Patrick Bryan was awarded the contract to build the new post office and construction began in

Continue reading

Old School House Museum

Old School House Museum The Old Schoolhouse is a rectangular, single-storey former school building with symmetrically placed wooden windows along the sides, a steeply pitched gable roof, and a front gable-end entry porch with wooden doors. It is located next to Our Lady of the Snows Roman Catholic Church on

Continue reading

Our Lady of Mercy Museum

The museum is located in the Rectory associated with Our Lady of Mercy Church. The church itself was consecrated in 1925. The Aguathuna limestone quarry was expected to develop and serve as the economic base for a small city. As a result, the church is the largest wooden structure in

Continue reading

Over the Top Museum

The residence of the late Peter and Ida Quinlan of Birchy Bay, built in 1916, houses the Over the Top Museum. Birchy Bay was first settled by fishermen from Fogo Island who would winter in the sheltered bays in winter’s tilts and cut timber from the surrounding area. A replica

Continue reading

Peterview Heritage Centre

The Peterview Heritage Centre displays artifacts, pictorial history of Peterview. Ongoing research includes obtaining artifacts from the Beothuck era for display. Wheelchair accessible.

Continue reading

Petty Harbour/Maddox Cove Heritage Museum

The Petty Harbour Museum is located in the Town of Petty Harbour/Maddox Cove, just 15 minutes from downtown St. Johns. The museum is situated in the basement of the old school, which is now the Community Center and Town Office. “Many Stories in Tiny Houses” is a comment a student

Continue reading